Just 5 minutes browsing through some random WordPress blogs, shows an alarming amount of sites that use no kind of on-form filtering from bots!
In my experience, spam filters can do a great job but can also take up alot more resources, then actually stopping bots from the start.
My earlier WordPress sites used mainly spam filters but I quickly found how many times my site was being hit. 3000+ times within a couple of months… seriously. Bots now making up the majority of my reader base, imagining the work that the poor database servers had to endure, led me to believe that it wasn’t the best solution.
The invention of Google’s captcha really has changed the way sites work. Being the final stage in a comment or a login page, it can prove a bit unsightly to say the least. Unsightly, maybe, but not useless at all. Just to be safe, I still use a spam filter… but not many, if at all any, get through Google captcha.
Something that doesn’t physically exist is easily misplaced or lost. It’s a bit more unsettling when you tie many hours to misplaced data, entrusted in someones hands.
“If you want something done right, do it yourself”
Charles-Guillaume Étienne. (as translated)
The hosting company, 123-REG had made this very error, as described on an independent.co.uk news article. (also documented on many other news sites) It was unfortunate, but even more so for those who lost their data. Web-based businesses (and their clients) drowned in complete internet darkness as the servers updated their drives to “forget” the data stored on them. I suppose I was lucky that when my server vanished, my livelihood didn’t go with it. Sure, it was a lot of time spent over the years; not only writing articles (that not many people at all have read), but the initial setup and configuration also took many long nights and head bashing, especially to an unexperienced “hobbyist”.
Like others I too kept backups outside of the company’s’ server infrastructure, but they are not directly or easily transferable to a new infrastructure altogether. I am in the process of rebuilding the VPS and selecting some old blog posts to carry over into the new world.
The new rhetoric for my corner of the internet have been changed; mainly about my technology experiences and the occasional post about myself.
The new kernel has issues with the touchpad and so the new kernel isn’t a perfect fix. Also DKMS does not like kernel 4.5; the solution would be to find the driver for the touchpad and adapt it for the original kernel release with ubuntu. This guide is void… for now.
After some faffing around with an Ubuntu 14.04 installation on a memory stick, I have managed to get it working quite well with the VivoBook. Here’s a rough guide about how I got this working.
The good thing about installing Ubuntu on a stick is you can install it separately from your notebooks’ harddrive and not worry about installing it on the already crowded SSD. This also allows you to not worry about a bad installation messing up your MBR and GPT’s.
Secondly, you can expand on the internal RAM by creating “swapfiles” as a virtual memory in Ubuntu.